Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 1997 18:47:55 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD225 and BSDOS2.1/BSDOS3.0

On Fri, Oct 31, 1997 at 11:44:21PM -0800, Kwoody wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> Ok, I give... maybe someone can clue me in to what the real issues are?
>>> IE - what is it about BSDOS2.1 and BSDOS3.0 that are different enough
>>> that FreeBSD can use or not use programs written for one or the other?
>>> Clarification or a history lesson please! :)  Thanks!!!!!
>>
>> BSD/OS 3.0 supports ELF formats.  Programs for 3.0 could thus be in
>> ELF, and we don't support it yet.  2.1 programs are in the same a.out
>> format as FreeBSD.  3.0 still supports a.out, so it's quite possible
>> that you can run 3.0 programs on FreeBSD, but you can't count on it.
>
> Is BSD/OS 2.1/3.0 based on the same sources that FreeBSD is based
upon?

They're both based on 4.4BSD, but they have both diverged somewhat.
The ELF support is one example.

> I had access to a BSDI 2.1 server for a few months and man was it
> fast!  (its being used for other purposes now, and in its place is
> AIX 3.2)

For a long time, I had FreeBSD 2.2 and BSD/OS 2.1 running on two
similar machines.  I didn't notice much speed difference.  Now I have
3.0, and I haven't got round to installing it.  There's not much
difference.  At one point, I said "sure, BSD/OS is better than
FreeBSD, but then you have to pay for it".  Nowadays I can't point to
anything that's decidedly better, but that could be lack of knowledge.

> It was during this time that I discovered the other *BSD os's and decided
> to convert one of my machines to FreeBSD, and I very glad I did. Its
> become my primary machine in fact.

Ditto.  Rob Kolstad would kill me.

Greg