Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 23:23:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ssh strangeness in -current...

On 06-Mar-00 Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>
>> the ports (yeah, stupid me), to no avail.  It complained about some
>> RSA library missing.
>
> Did you read the error message? Perhaps you should. Perhaps reporting it
> here would help someone to actually fix your problem instead of having to
> guess.

I think you've kind of missed the point though, Kris.  How many other people
are going to upgrade only to find that their previously working system is
now broken.  We should at least mention this in UPDATING so people have a
ghost of a chance.

>> Apart from my stupidness of not checking the location of the binary
>> first -- what did I do wrong, and what's the recommended way of
>> handling this?  Am I supposed to rm /usr/bin/ssh each time I install a
>> new release or snapshot?  I can't believe that.
>
> Read /etc/defaults/make.conf
>
>> By the way, _why_ is ssh in the base system now, and what is
>> wrong with having it in the ports?  I'm sorry if there was a
>> "HEADS UP" on this list, then I must have missed it.
>
> Enough people wanted it in the base system - in fact, when the question
> was asked about importing it, I don't recall any objections - certainly it
> was not a significant opposition.

Actually, I don't recall a question.  Rather, I recall Jordan saying that once
openssl had finally been all fixed, we might as well add openssh so it would
be useful.  Had a vote been taken, I would have voted to pull openssl and wait
until after 4.0 to straighten all this out.  From other discussions I've had
several other people I know would have voted the same way.  Thankfully it
is now in a working state for new installs and for upgrades if you sacrafice
the proper animal and dance under a full moon, yada, yada, yada. :)