Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:11:55 +0200
From:      Michael Lestinsky <michael.lestinsky@mpi-hd.mpg.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Enhanced SpeedStep driver available

Colin Percival:
>   All the code is online at
> http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-est/

Thanks, that's really nice. I have it running now for some time and
the first thing I observed was a reduced cpu temperature. But I don't see
your 40% battery life extension.

Another thing I see is: When I boot from battery, load the est.ko module,
plug in the powersupply and reload the module I get both times:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz: Enhanced SpeedStep running at 600 MHz (956 mV)

while if I boot while on powersupply the voltage is at about 1400mV and
doesn't lower when switching back to battery. The funny thing is, it
doesn't seem to affect the lifetime at all. Whether at 1400 or at 950mV, I
get about 1:50h in both cases. The system is a Samsung X05 and has this
processor:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz (598.06-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x695  Stepping = 5
  Features=0xa7e9f9bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,TM,PBE>

What still keeps me confused is all those different kinds to introduce
some throttling to the system. There is hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state, TCC
and now EST. How do they all walk along? Or, what does ACPI throttling
actually do?

Bye
Michael

--
Michael Lestinsky                   Max-Planck-Institut fuer Kernphysik
michael.lestinsky@mpi-hd.mpg.de     Saupfercheckweg 1; 69117 Heidelberg