Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:06:13 -0700
From:      Stephen Ware <steve@inserted.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /kernel: pid 171 (named), uid 53: exited on signal 6

Howdy,
I think (hope) I'm being paranoid, but with all the fuss about bind
recently, I'd like to be sure.
I was playing around with date(1), and this happened:

Jun 13 16:27:00 entropy date: date set by steve
Jun 13 16:27:19 entropy /kernel: pid 171 (named), uid 53: exited on signal 6

(Excuse the crazy dates, that's from playing with date(1))
I have named (version 8.2.3-REL) running as an unprivileged user,
chrooted and in forward only mode, with ipfw firewalling 53/udp
and 53/tcp from everything except my primary and secondary name
servers, so I don't I couldn't find anything in the named(1) man
page about this exit status. Basically, I'm hoping that it was
setting the time that caused named to die, but don't want to start
it back up until I have some sort of confirmation.
The machine is 4.3-BETA from March 12th.

Please tell me I'm being completely paranoid :-)

--
Best regards,
 Stephen                          mailto:steve@inserted.net