Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 09:24:46 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Fabio Andrés Miranda <fmirand@metrotel.net.co>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with PPP connection

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Fabio Andrés Miranda wrote:

> i am not paying for support or that, but well, feel free to ignore this
> email.I think the problem is the type of server is my isp. When i am at
> the fbsd prompt, i type #ppp, then, i emulate the terminal (#term).
> then, i dial up my isp >atdt 3705555. The connection is faster, the
> modem works perfectly. But i get a promt like:
> User Verification
>
> Password:
>
> I don't know what is wrong, my isp gave me a username and password, no
> just a password, that also happens when i dial up with hyper terminal
> under windows. I can only connect with my isp under window using Dial Up
> Networking.

In cases like this, what I usually do is to inspect the settings for
the Win95's Dial-up settings for the ISP involved. You'll probably
find a login-script attached for that ISP (I forget how to get there
from the menus..); and the expect-send sequences to log into your ISP
should be pretty obvious from it.

You then duplicate this on FreeBSD's ppp.

Jonathan Chen