Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:41:43 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Sean Cull <Sean@blizzard.bc.tac.net>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: procfs full??

I don't know what that error message is, but the docs for procfs is
easy.  Just try man procfs.  It doesn't *need* to be mounted, but
certain programs like top and I believe ps use it.
	Was downloading the only thing you were doing at the time?  The exact
error message might be helpful.  Look in /var/log/messages, and maybe
include a good chunk of that file back to the list.  Procfs is the
memory file system and it would be strange for it to fill up.
Especially without heavy activity.  It doesn't have anything to do with
disk space.  Maybe you did fill up one of your partitions already.
What does the output of `df `  show?

						Tim

On Wednesday February 07, 2001 18:53, Sean Cull wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not, or who's
> going to end up reading it, but here goes...

You got the right place.  This is a mailing list of FreeBSD users that
ask and answer questions about FreeBSD.

> I installed FreeBSD the other day, and accepted the Auto-defaults for
> partitions (/usr, /var, etc.) and the installation went fine. I then
> proceeded to install a few ports, and those ran fine. But last night
> I was downloading something and then I was getting an error saying
> /proc was full. As much as I've looked, I can't find out exactly what
> procfs is... I'm wondering how I can be out of space when I have 10
> gigs free on my drive. Is it a question of resizing my partition
> scheme? Or are they called slices in BSD?
> I'm not sure what other information you guys need to answer my
> question. Even pointing me to documentation on procfs would help.
> Does it NEED to be mounted? If so, why? If not, why not?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)
>
> -Sean Cull

/""\
\  /
 X ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Say NO to HTML in email
/  \