Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:40:42 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dave@mischler.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portmaster -g no longer builds packages for dependencies?

On 6/5/14, 10:04 AM, Dave Mischler wrote:
> I built a clean jail yesterday, portsnapped a new ports tree (i.e. fetch
> and extract) and built portmaster.  Then I did
> "portmaster -dgGH x11/xorg".  It seemed to build Xorg properly, but
> there were no packages built for any of the many dependencies.  I tried
> an older portmaster version that used to work and it seemed to have the
> same problem.  Is this difficulty due to changes in the ports tree that
> broke dependent package building?  Any suggestions?  I have avoided
> poudriere so far because I like having no ports tree except in the jail.

This will be fixed in 3.17.6.

In the meantime a workaround is to also use the -t flag.

As for poudriere, where it places its ports tree is really no different
than you keeping it in your jail now. It does not have to be in
/usr/ports. By default it will use /usr/local/poudriere/ports/default/.

I do highly recommend poudriere. Building ports on a live system is
dangerous as it can leave things broken for long periods of time.
Portmaster is even worse as it will uninstall ports for very long
periods of time while upgrading dependencies. Portupgrade handles this
situation much better, but of course has all of its own cons.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery