Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:39:57 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: deny of x sessions

Alain G. Fabry wrote:
> With ssh it works, both with -Y and -X, but I need this to work also with regular telnet.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:53:18AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>> Alain G. Fabry wrote:
>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> I've just installed KDE 4.5.3 on a FreeBSD 6.1 system.
>>>
>>> I'm having problem getting an x-window from another PC when I'm connected
>>> to that PC via telnet (with ssh -X .... everything works fine)
>>>
>>> When I telnet to the other machine and export/setenv my DISPLAY
>>> environment towards the display I'm telnetting from, I get the following
>>> error.
>>>
>>> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 10.0.0.250:0.0
>>>
>>> I've already tried to change the kdmrc by removing the -nolisten tcp or
>>> commenting out
>>>
>>> ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp
>>>
>>> but this does not seem to work either....when I reboot, it even undoes all
>>> the changes I've made to the file (as root)
>>>
>>> Anybody can give me some advise on what I need to do to accept incoming
>>> x11 requests.
>>>
>>> x11 packets are received (seen by a tcpdump) but it just does not want to
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Just for you info, I did not forget the xhost +
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>> Try ssh -Y instead of ssh -X. ssh -X was deprecated some time ago due to
>> security concerns I believe over trusted hosts and X11 forwarding
>> (Google that particular flag because there are a lot of discussion items
>> out there about this).
>> -Garrett
1. Please top post on this list.
2. Why do you want to do it over regular telnet? It's very insecure and
unwise to do. If you do want to use telnet, try running xhost after
logging into the machine. Make sure you login to the machine directly
with X, as there isn't any portforwarding functionality built in to telnet.