Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 23:37:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        bendede@startribune.com (Dave Bender)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The unending conflict: modems and mice

Dave Bender wrote after reformatting:
> I've run into what seems to be a perrenial
> problem for me on a PC: a mouse/modem conflict. I've dealt with
> this in DOS, then in Windows, and in WindowsNT (which I dumped in
> favor of FreeBSD).
>
> Now it appears to have reared its ugly head in FreeBSD.
>
> But this time I'm stumped as to where to turn. I'm new to Unix (at
> least sysAdmin stuff) and I'm not sure what to do.
>
> Here are symptoms I've seen:
>
> + When I enter the tip command, and type "AT" the machine freezes.
> I have to reboot.
>
> + In another iteration, tip froze, but if I moved the mouse I got
> all sorts of frenetic, weird output on the screen. I also had to
> reboot.

Post the output of dmesg after a boot.  This sounds like an IRQ problem.

> The modem is a brand spanking new US Robotics jumperless Plug and
> Play 56K modem (motherboard /bios is also PnP -- does that matter?)

That's spelled "Plug and Pray" or "Plug and Prey". :)

> so I don't know how to tell what port/irq it selected. How can I
> find that out from the OS?

(Dmesg)

> The mouse IO/card is an old generic thing that's been with me for
> many moons. (It worked OK when NT was on this particular machine.)
> The mouse is self is a $5 computer show special.

It ain't the mouse, probably.

> I unplugged the mouse and rebooted, but got the same behavior with
> the freezing at the AT Specifically I entered:
>
> $tip cuaa0b connected <freeeeze>

Sure that's the right device name? The usuals are /dev/cuaa0 ...1 ...2,
...3 corresponding to COM1,...4.

> If I don't use the modem (don't enter a tip command) the mouse
> works fine. It shows up and a test in Xwindows says it's functional.

Then it is. IO or IRQ conflict, no doubt.

Dave