Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:21:29 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E9=E9?= Yann GROSSEL =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=E9=E9=E9?= <y.grossel@hexanet.fr>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fernando@mecon.gov.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing and Zebra

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 11:49:11 -0300
Fernando Schapachnik <fernando@mecon.gov.ar> wrote:

> Hi,
> 	First of all, forgive me if my question is off-topic. I could have
> tried -questions but was afraid that is was kind of very specific.
>
> 	To the point: Two machines running 4.7, A and B, connected to the
> 	same
> switch. Both running zebra. When A is turned off, B receives A's traffic
> (which is normal as the switch needs to flood packets after a while):
>
> TCPdump on B:
>
> Source MAC: a router's MAC (on the same LAN)
> Dest. MAC: A's MAC
> Source IP: someplace in the net
> Dest. IP: A's IP
>
> 	To my surprise B tries to forwards the packet to A, which AFAIK
> shouldn't because it doesn't have the right destination MAC. Of course
> there is no VRRP or anything else.
>
> 	Is this a known behavior? Would it be Zebra?
>
> 	Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi,

I posted a few hours ago in freebsd-questions a problem that seems very
similar to yours ("promiscuous mode / strange ethernet packets duplication
problem"). I too have Zebra running on my machines.

Have you checked that the ethernet interface of your B machine is not
in promiscuous mode for an unknown reason ?

We have several FreeBSD 4.7 boxes that automatically put all their
interfaces into promiscuous mode during the boot process. Does anybody
knows how to prevent that from happening ?

Regards

Yann

--
Yann GROSSEL                      Email: y.grossel@hexanet.fr