Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:22:06 +0200
From:      <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
To:        <mark@outlander.us>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Using names in NATD

Can't be done with Nat because Nat is talking at the IP level.
Names are not in IP packets but redirects work for Apache because the =
URL request has the server name in it.

You'd probably have to setup a reverse proxy to achieve what you want to =
do.

-D

:I've got NATD working fine on my BSD firewall, however now I want to
:"trick it out" by allowing a redirect to occur somewhere else if a
:specific name appears in the request.
:
:Currently I have all incoming http traffic being forwarded to an
:internal webserver at say 192.186.50.2. That server then uses name
:resolution under apache to identify www.domain1.com,=20
www.domain2.com, or
www.domain3.com which all reside on this webserver. My firewall internal
address is say 192.168.50.1, which has IPDIVERT installed and is working
fine.
Now say I want all requests to www.domain2.com to go to another server
at 192.168.50.3 instead of the main webserver, however, all I want is
this one domain to go there. Any ideas of what I can do in NATD to set
this up?
-----------------------------------------------------------------=0A=
ATTENTION:=0A=
The information in this electronic mail message is private and=0A=
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you=0A=
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that=0A=
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this=0A=
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by=0A=
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or=0A=
opening it.=0A=
=0A=
Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.=0A=
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the=0A=
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.=0A=
Always scan attachments before opening them.=0A=