Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 08:52:48 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for Deskjet 500 and gs

 * From: Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>

 *     I thought dvips just needed Metafont and the MakeTeXPK script to
 * generate the bitmaps?  TeX is just a macro processor ("just", ha!)
 * that calls MetaFont to retrieve font metrics and the like.  That's my
 * understanding of it, after trying to rebuild the latest kpathsea'd
 * versions of TeX/LaTex2e/dvipsk/xdvik under FreeBSD (what a nightmare
 * that was...)

Yeah, that's right....my guess is that what they need is just metafont
but since metafont is typically included in a TeX distribution, the
doc just says it needs TeX.

Satoshi