Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:09:38 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@hilink.com.au>
To:        David Hedley <david@inty.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/10028: TCP problem binding port - address already in use

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, David Hedley wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR kern/10028; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: David Hedley <david@inty.co.uk>
> To: Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
> Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: kern/10028: TCP problem binding port - address already in use
> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:49:30 +0000 (GMT)
>
>  On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Bill Fenner wrote:
>
>  > In message <199902111529.HAA01792@hub.freebsd.org>you write:
>  > >Often when the program exits (usually on a signal), the kernel does not
>  > >'unbind' the port (i.e. netstat -na shows the port still in LISTEN state).

I also saw this happen with udp.  We had radiusd started from inetd in
'wait'.  If inetd went crazy with the 'junk pointer' problem, and needed
restarting, it would fail to bind to the radius port, because radiusd was
there.  However, even killing radiusd would not free the port, and a
reboot was necessary to recover.

Danny