Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:51:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sleepycat Software <db@abyssinian.sleepycat.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Berkeley DB port to FreeBSD

> Re: Berkeley DB port to FreeBSD
> Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
>
> It's a cgi script which redirects to a ftp site, probably so the "latest"
> version can be tracked without needing to change the html. There's no problem
> grabbing the distfiles from there..

That URL is going to be changing in the near future.

> On a different note, though, the downloads page only points to the beta
> release. For someone using the software in a production environment, it's
> probably better to use the stable release, which is what I think I'll update
> the port to.

Version 2.6.4, to which you updated, is the previous beta
release.  (We don't usually put "stable" releases up on the
web site.  By the time a release has been around long enough
to be declared "stable", there's always a newer beta release
available.)

> Just another point to the sleepycat guys - have you given thought to
> maintaining the FreeBSD package yourselves? It's quite simple to do once you
> learn "the ropes" (took me an evening), and it means you take control of
> tracking the latest version of your software yourself without having to rely
> on a (slack) external maintainer. There are a few other software developers
> which do this with their ports already.

We don't yet have a FreeBSD machine in house, and so we would
be unable to do any testing at all, and I think it would be
easy for us to accidentally break something.  And, while I can
see signing up to do this once we're a bit bigger, I don't want
to add more release engineering work right now.

Regards,
--keith