Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:24:20 -0400
From:      Greg Skouby <gskouby@sitesnow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   taking out disks

Hello,

I have a system that is running:
3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD.

It is a netfinity machine with one internal scsi drive with four external drives connected to the same
adapter. The internal drive is da4 and it contains the OS. The four external drives are da0, da1, da2,
da3 and they are currently not being used. I had them in a vinum raid5 array but that died. (I realize
that is my own fault for running vinum raid5 on a 3.3-R system) Anyways, I need to take one of the
external drives out but I am fearing that when I do that on the next subsequent reboot the box will not
boot right because the drive with the OS on it will not be da4 anymore, it will become da3 because one
drive is not there. Am I correct? How can I accomplish this? Is it as easy as changing /etc/fstab to
point to the new drive instead of da4? (I really don't think it is). Thanks for your help and please let
me know if you need any more details.