Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:14:03 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Tim Liddelow <tim@ideasandassociates.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: Contributing...

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:02:34PM -0400, Tim Liddelow wrote:
> For native threads, has there been any consideration on the linuxthreads
> port ?  How is "native" threading implemented in the 1.3.1 kit currently
> ?  I'd like to contribute to making the FreeBSD 1.3.1 kit a port as
> well.

Yes, and I dumped on it in favor of a pthread implementation instead
in light of the KSE effort and how LinuxThreading was hacked into the
thread creation/destruction glue layer (wierd SIGCHLD stuff, etc...).

This is what led to the current track for getting native threads working.

> Also, what about HotSpot ?  Has anyone attempted to port this to any of
> the BSDs ?   I'm looking at other JITs now.  The latest TYA doesn't
> build under the 1.3.1 kit.

These are the two biggest items on my list while I'm in between jobs.

The order of attack is native threading first and then HotSpot. IMO,
both can be worked on simultaneously, but you absolutely have to have
the threading solid (green, native) before you can even smoke test
HotSpot. So getting HotSpot to compile would likely be the hard limit
for progress until the surrounding JVM facilities were to solidify.

Both the JVM thread (virtual machine craziness + language runtimes) and
HotSpot (C++ based with tricky *everything* that come with JIT compilers
cores) systems are non-trivial and it would take at least a number of
weeks for an accomplished engineer (IMO) to be comfortable with virtual
machine abstractions and do basic work with it.

It's sort of the worse of operating systems (VM + threading) plus the
worse of optimizating compiler all at once. ;-)

> I'd also like to help in ensuring that java ports can be built across
> JDKs (where possible).
>
> Thanks
> Tim.

bill