Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:20:32 -0700
From:      Sean Bruno <sean_bruno@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Trying to use /bin/sh

--=-LFrcKzzh3U7+wYnFXmnx

I was attempting to simply set my EDITOR env variable for use on my
system today and discovered that I do *not* understand how computers
work.

After realizing that I simply do not understand what's going on, I broke
down and put an "echo test" into /etc/profile and ~/.profile.

I can't see why, but logging in via xdm/xfce4 isn't doing any of the
normal login things and nothing in my .profile is ever executed by any
shell, ever.

None of these get executed unless its a login shell.  xfce4 doesn't seem
to pick these up when starting up, so I have no idea what to do.

For now, I've put the needed things into a .bashrc and switched my
loging shell to bash, which is not really what I wanted to do.

Sean

--=-LFrcKzzh3U7+wYnFXmnx

--=-LFrcKzzh3U7+wYnFXmnx--