Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:01:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      FreeBSD Bob <fbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        fbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (FreeBSD Bob)
Subject:   Sig 11 screeching halt.... need info about.

Anyone have a pointer to where the info about sig11 halts in FreeBSD is?
I have never had one, before, but, changed from an old Adaptec 1540A to
a 1542CF controller, and anything more recent than Ol' 2.1.7.1 gives me
a screeching signal 11 halt.  That is what I get for using dinosaurian
hardware (i.e., the wife's old windoz box) as a FreeBSD play box...(:+\\...
But, I should probably brush up on what it means, exactly, and what is
necessary to get it right.....  Any pointers to the sig11 info are
appreciated.

I found a bit of a FAQ that suggests that memory timing might be the
culprit.  Can anyone explain why  2.1.7.1 might work and 2.2.6 and up
would not?  The boot floppies come up and the install begins, then, when
disk writing occurs, it sig11's.  Would adding a wait state be likely
to help?  I have plenty of spare ram chips, and was thinking about
swapping some out for starters.  Would clocking the machine from 33mhz
to 20mhz make a difference, or suggest whether it was ram or maybe
cache or such?

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob