Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:19:31 -0700
From:      Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
To:        Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>, "Questions List FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification

--------------45E424EB5CDAF25C0AA66136

ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR "MCSE" ANALOGY!!  Yah; know what you mean about certs; been
doing this for 15 years ... probably should get around to getting a cert one of
these days ...

RAB

Dann Lunsford wrote:

> "T. William Wells" wrote:
> >
> > In article <199907231723.AA061670587@broccoli.graphics.cornell.edu>,
> > Mitch Collinsworth  <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU> wrote:
> > : >Are you guys by any chance going to create a FreeBSD certification program?
> > : >If yes, by when will it be available? If not, don't you think it is a good
> > : >idea
> > : >to start one?
> > :
> > : Why?
> >
> > Yeah. In my experience, most of those who have certificates get
> > them in the hopes that it'll substitute for actual hard-earned
> > experience. Furthermore, certification programs rarely test
> > anything more than the ability to answer questions correctly --
> > this is not a skill that's terribly useful when it comes to
> > administering an operating system.
>
> MCSE == Must Consult Someone Experienced
>
> Says it all about 'certification", I think.  There is a problem with
> this though:  The suits (at least where I work) are so gung-ho about
> certs that there's now a 10-20% pay raise if you get just about any type
> of cert.  Good Grief.

--------------45E424EB5CDAF25C0AA66136

begin:vcard
n:Bettle;Roy
tel;work:(949) 452-1203
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.criterion-group.com
org:Criterion Group, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:rbettle@criterion-group.com
title:President
note:Businesses that depend on computers, depend on us.
adr;quoted-printable:;;26895 Aliso Creek Road=0D=0ASuite B404;Aliso Viejo;CA;92656;USA
fn:Bettle, Roy
end:vcard