Date:        Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:59:18 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        "Ronald G. Arnold Jr." <rarnold@colemantx.com>
Cc:        Kyle Pos <linkkyle@netscape.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Size of FreeBSD

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 02:40:08PM -0600, Ronald G. Arnold Jr. wrote:
> I downloaded FreeBSD from an ftp site, it took 5 days and it's 500 Mb.
> That was over a dial up connection of 28.8 Kbps, although my modem is a
> 56k, my dial up isn't that fast. That was from Win98 and 24 hours a day,
> not counting reconnects and reboots. That also doesn't include the
> packages, it took several days to get X installed from the ports. I have
> the Cds and The Complete FreeBSD book, from Walnut Creek now, and would
> recommend getting the CDs.

Althoug I too would recommend to get the CDs I must say it doesn't take
*that* long to install by FTP.
When I installed over a 33.6k modem it was more like 10-12 hours and about
200MB (compressed)
This depends of course on what parts you want to include, but those numbers
include some packages and X.