Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 15:04:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        Edirol <edirol@anime.ca>, FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Permission denied when rebuilding locate db

I think the building of the locate database was revised to provide
additional flexibility and security, so that the location of
some files need not be reported in the database.

The building of the database is controlled by the variables in
the rc.locate file, which notes that if the path locate uses
begins where locate cannot read, it produces empty databases.
If users' home directories are 750, their files will not be
recorded in the database either, which is probably desirable
for a machine used by more than one person.

It's possible to build more than one database, and to move
them around, and to use a specific locate database using the
-d switch.  The option to write the database to a particular
file is included in rc.locate.

Annelise