Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 2004 23:49:46 -0500
From:      Glenn Sieb <ges@wingfoot.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf & wget...

Jonathan Chen wrote:

>The recent updates to the ports/Mk/* files restricts the FETCH_CMD to
>/usr/bin/fetch. Why would you use wget instead of the base-system's
>fetch to build the ports anyway?

Because fetch used to break horribly under our stateful ipf firewall at
the office.

Because wget shows you the *status* of a download--not just how many
bytes it's downloaded.

Because I like wget.

So, thank you for your answer of how they changed ports/Mk/* -- I have
reverted my systems back to using fetch.

Glenn