Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:39:46 +1000
From:      Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
To:        Danny <dannyho@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading using /stand/sysinstall

> I am currently running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE and I want to upgrade to the
> latest version which is 4.6.1.
>
> I want to upgrade FreeBSD using the /stand/sysinstall facility.
>
> My ISP only allows me to download 1GB per month.
>
> I was wondering how much data I would download from the internet if I used
> the /stand/sysinstall -> upgrade facilty?

G'day Danny,

I presume you got your /etc/rc.conf thing sorted?

I can't answer your question directly about the amount to download,
but I can give you another approach to get the data without eating into your
download limit. I am guessing you are with Telstra ADSL or cable.

If you are with them, then you can download the FreeBSD iso images from
Telstra's Game Arena site for free (i.e. they don't count it towards your
download limit.)  Make sure you check first that it is on the free site
list! I have Telstra ADSL at home with a 3Gb limit and it is free for me.

Go to:

http://games.telstra.com/gamearena/

Then select resources / file library / unix-like operating systems.

I asked them to put the latest 4.6.2 release iso's on there a little
while ago, which they did. I've used them to install on four or five
machines already.

Even if you don't have a burner, you can virtual mount the iso as follows:

# vnconfig /dev/vn0c ./image.iso
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0c /cdrom

You can upgrade via sysinstall from an existing filesystem (in this case
/cdrom), it is one of the options. I did it once long ago that way, but
can't remember any further details. Maybe someone else has a better
clue, or just try it!

When you're finished with the iso image:

# umount /cdrom
# vnconfig -u /dev/vn0c

Best of luck!

Greg