Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:35:42 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Plugin Status

With Bill's tenative changes for native threads, I can get the plugin to
load, but it keeps dieing in various Motif/Xt locations.  I fixed one
blatant Motif error, dereferencing a null pointer, but there are many
obvious null-pointer dereferences in the same physical file.  I did not
feel like fixing all of them...

Currently, the plugin is dieing during various internal Motif/Xt
interactions to set up the initial Widgets and so on.  I have compiled
Open Motif with debugging symbols, but not Xt.  I don't really feel like
tracking down all of the reasons that this might not be working.

Is all of this just because the plugin is trying to create a child of
the Mozilla window?  The latest problem occurs deep in Xt and triggers
the xtError callback in awt, which simply prints "Xt error" and then
throws a NullPointerException.  Not very helpful.  How do I access the
actual Xt error message?  The man pages are extremely unhelpful...

Sigh.  I wonder if LessTif would work?  Maybe cause different errors...

/Joe

p.s. I welcome advice from anyone more familiar with the bowels of
awt/Motif/Xt.