Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:27:22 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Carlos J Garcia" <garciacj@gate.net>, <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install help needed.

How old is your computer (and CD-ROM drive)?

I recently installed FreeBSD 3.2 on a 4-year old Dell Dimension with a 4x
IDE CDROM. FreeBSD did detect it as Secondary Master, but the kernel probe
took about five minutes.

I replaced the old CDROM with a new el-cheapo (<$50) 24x modern-day ATAPI
drive, and it works flawlessly.

If you can afford it, you may want to upgrade your CDROM drive...

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!