Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:04:01 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Indigo 23 <indigo23@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to amd64 requires recompilation of ports?

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 06:21:40PM -0400, Indigo 23 wrote:
>  Does anyone think that its worth the hassle? If you do manage to get
>  it up and running, will you see any noticeable advantages or is it
>  better to just stick with i386? The only caveat that I can see is a
>  recompilation of all the ports.  Any thoughts?

You don't really _need_ it unless you've got more than four gigs of RAM
and are routinely running out of memory on i386. Then again, I installed
amd64 instead of i386 because I could. :-) No regrets so far.

Some stuff like binary drivers, flash player, is not available on
amd64 (not necessarily a bad thing :-). I think i386 has more ports
available as packages.

Amd 64 will use some more disk space and RAM.

Doing a clean reinstall instead of an upgrade will probably less of a hassl=
e.

Roland
--=20

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY