Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:16:24 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.0-19980923-BETA/

At 06:53 AM 9/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>> cvs-30   (all commits related to 3.0 (aka -current, -beta, -stable etc)
>> cvs-22   (all commits related to 2.2.x (aka 2.2-stable etc)
>
>I'd prefer cvs-current and cvs-stable to numbered ones or we'll have
>to rename lists at the roll-over rather than simply transitioning the
>topics of discussion accordingly.

I certainly agree that some division of the commit lists is appropriate.
However, I disagree with you on the naming.
By your suggestion, the users would all have to resubscribe to a different
list just because you change the "status" of a branch.
Besides, there will be (at least for a short period of time) more than one
"stable" branch. Those who are tracking 2.2 for stability won't be willing
to instantly drop it when 3.0 is declared "stable". There might still be some
continued back-porting/security fixes to 2.2 long after 3.0 gets released.
(2.1 is still getting an occasional patch)

I suggest that we have
cvs-head
cvs-30
cvs-22

Initially, cvs-30 gets the same mail as cvs-head.
A user could subscribe to either one depending on his
intention.

However, when you branch 3.0 off of the head, they
would become different. That way, users will have
pre-chosen which branch to follow without having to change lists.
Further, when 3.0 gets delegated to the back burner,
there will not be any need to change things around.
Remember that 2.2 will not "just disappear" simply because
someone declares that "3.0 is now stable".

For those who want to track the head branch, their list will
automagically become the new 3.1-current list, etc.

Think of it in terms of the actual branches rather than the "status"
of a particular branch.