Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 2015 18:30:19 -0400
From:      Peter Beckman <beckman@angryox.com>
To:        Analysiser <analysiser@gmail.com>
Cc:        Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>,  Hackers freeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Xin LI <d@delphij.net>
Subject:   Re: Passphraseless Disk Encryption Options?
References:  <8B7FEE2E-500E-49CF-AC5E-A2FA3054B152@gmail.com> <CADWvR2iv7xz02Fw9b=159%2BSMuphQGRKZsfyy9DDeqGMxn=p1BA@mail.gmail.com> <D214715D.1A32%xaol@amazon.com> <CADWvR2iVubsBQjnvQ8mDGGS7ujsR8wPQ2RAxn=kvFkmVGQkXiQ@mail.gmail.com> <D2147761.1A53%xaol@amazon.com> <55EF4B65.8030905@delphij.net> <D5104DE1-F889-422E-8017-25B6555396F0@gmail.com> <CADWvR2gkLR2VLsUw_MRyLBaFmftP0WuJqR3_n1SpT_WEDRuL6w@mail.gmail.com> <74385D4D-48C7-4B5B-BF94-B99806C667EE@gmail.com>

If logs were stored in /var and that was an encrypted volume, no problem.

If you are worried about malicious code, fingerprint your known volume of
non-changing files e.g. exclude logs, then compare the files on disk with
your fingerprint.  If they don't match, something has changed.

Easier to know that something has changed than to encrypt to prevent
change.

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015, Analysiser wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> I=E2=80=99m trying to protect my startup disk=E2=80=99s data from being=
 tampered with by someone who has physically access to the disk. He might=
 put it on some other machine, add some malicious code or check the logs =
stored in /var, and then put it back my machine, when the machine is stay=
ed in some public untrusted environment. When I regain the machine from a=
 public untrusted environment and boot the disk, some malicious code migh=
t running and try to contaminate my own network or other machines, or mon=
itor my activities with the machine.=20

> I hope I explained clearer this time :)
>
> Xiao
>

>> On Sep 8, 2015, at 3:09 PM, Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk> wr=
ote:
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> On 8 September 2015 at 22:50, Analysiser <analysiser@gmail.com <mailto=
:analysiser@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>=20
>> Thank you so much for all the insights here! I think I is my bad not t=
o clarify the situation very well but still I found a lot of things I cou=
ld try from the replies. In my case I could not do remote passphrase and =
and USB boot and/or USB hold key/passphrase since the device might not al=
ways have internet access and no ports (internally or externally are expo=
sed).
>>=20
>> I think your suggestions in separating the root filesystem and user sp=
ace applications and data and perform encryption only on user portion is =
a more reasonable practice given the time scale on the project I=E2=80=99=
m working on. Thanks again!
>>=20
>> I still have some more detailed questions I=E2=80=99m seeking for an a=
nswer related to the full startup disk encryption:
>>=20
>>=20
>> <snip>
>>=20
>> I think you're worrying about the problem from the wrong end- what is =
it that you're attempting to protect, I'm still unsure of that?..
>>=20
>>=20
>> --=20
>> Igor M.=20

rg"

Peter Beckman                                                  Internet G=
uy
beckman@angryox.com                                 http://www.angryox.co=
m/
From owner-freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org  Tue Sep  8 22:43:48 2015
 h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id
 :subject:to:cc:content-type;
 bh=/GwKghYBE5gcdblLDEnkyAbzXs6dphCHlbX3oVInFCk=;
 b=0Bg62H/gN159cf8LjuDloOnJ2LKtdrFfcC+/gMtLuQAJBaLSkVo8kX8R3RrQNoaaQV
 GLSKvUw2GoqBQx/r21upPdGEojvZEXMe1338HW9SZzuIIcvz+TRpkc5w55zqZ6wxFoJa
 TRHE1Xktb6PFPb2ripXVMDeLYjXQOveNUolVJ3FN6s5+MDAjjCD08pmqVNqdOpOrqblS
 UEu3wu0Kuox8xt8pwcD1RheN7pEf/di2sxRvJ3uHyAvQ7/dK2irX4+rhjpjkUcxWKH3l
 9vKk1XNw8zXGICkBp03o7zQUIBqflgttIdG/K1lq19LNnVE2YbtGh9U/1csxOsojBcUn
 GgXA==
Sender: mozolevsky@gmail.com
From: Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 23:43:08 +0100
To: Analysiser <analysiser@gmail.com>
Cc: Xin LI <d@delphij.net>, Hackers freeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>

On 8 September 2015 at 23:22, Analysiser <analysiser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> I=E2=80=99m trying to protect my startup disk=E2=80=99s data from being t=
ampered with by
> someone who has physically access to the disk. He might put it on some
> other machine, add some malicious code or check the logs stored in /var,
> and then put it back my machine, when the machine is stayed in some publi=
> untrusted environment. When I regain the machine from a public untrusted
> environment and boot the disk, some malicious code might running and try =
> contaminate my own network or other machines, or monitor my activities wi=
th
> the machine.

Ok, so how does FDE stop anyone from either replacing the disk all
together, or wiping the disk that you put in and putting their code on it?

--=20
Igor M.