Date:      Sat, 01 Nov 1997 06:36:08 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Bill Beavers <bbeavers@Moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tape drives

bbeavers@Moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us said:
> I had seen a thread acouple of days ago concerning TR4 (HP/COLORADO
> Travan 4000) tape drives.  I have one of these installed in my BSD
> box,  but have been unable to tar to it.  How does one know if it is
> properly  configured into the kernel, and is there more to the setup
> after that?

> dmesg shows the following, but I am not sure what to do to initate a
> backup?

> ahc0:A:1: refuses syncronous negotiation. Using asyncronous transfers
> (ahc0:1:0): "HP T4000s 1.07" type 1 removable SCSI 2 st0(ahc0:1:0):
> Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty

"asyncronous" is not the sign of a quality SCSI implementation. You
might have syncronous disabled in your 2940's BIOS for this device.

> BTW, the drive is not empty, it has a tape in it ready to go, if I
> only  knew how to access it :-)

Start with "mt stat" and see what it reports. Then try "mt retension",
"mt rewind", etc (see "man mt").

Does a Travan tape require formatting? Would the tape drive report
empty if the tape was not formatted? Tapes used in most Unix systems,
such as DAT, 8mm, and QIC-150, don't require formatting.
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net