Date:      Thu, 5 May 2005 00:26:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Helge Oldach <usbcrash@oldach.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   i386/80628: recent USB MFCs cause panics

>Number:         80628
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       recent USB MFCs cause panics
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD localhost 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #2135: Wed May 4 23:23:16 CEST 2005 toor@localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

I rebuilt my machine today and thus incorporated the USB changes that
have been MFC'd some days ago by julian@. Now I observe duplicated dmesg
entries for all newly attached USB devices, e.g.

umass0: USB Solid state disk, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 4
umass0: USB Solid state disk, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 4

Worse, the machine crashes when I remove USB sticks (tried various
models, all behave the same), saying

umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: at uhub1 port 2 (addr 4) disconnected
umass0: detached

Fatal trap 12:: BBB reset failed, STALLED
 page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address   = 0x3c
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc016dbfe
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xd159af08
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xd159af08
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 3 (usb0)
interrupt mask          = none
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED

I did already apply yesterday's change to uhub.c (1.21.2.11).

My previous kernel was built on 29th April and works fine. This already
includes the ehci, uhci and ohci changes that were done on 26th April.
So this problem must be related to the USB changes on 30th April.