Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:46:47 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>
Cc:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: application developers [ was Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!) ]

> It's a frustrating situation, and I would go so far as to say that
> the problem isn't even lack of support, but lack of feedback.  App
> developers will tend to go where their efforts are most appreciated

I think what you need to understand here is that the equation simply
cuts both ways.  Users won't even bother using an application unless
it solves a problem that's currently unsolved or solves it in a way
which is obviously better than the other available methods.  Coming to
grips with a new application, or even evaluating it, takes time too
and there are literally hundreds of thousands of applications out
there now competing for user mindshare - just take a look at
freshmeat.net sometime.

Even if you do manage to get a few users for an application, keep in
mind the fact that it may only be a short-term thing until some other
apps developer completely outclasses your offering and relegates it to
the software scrap heap. :-) I've had this happen to any number of
things I've written and contributed over the years, some of which took
non-trivial amounts of time to develop too.  Software is just like
that, and if there's any truism to be uttered here at all it's that
you really should develop applications first and foremost for yourself
and treat users as an almost secondary concern (I'm assuming a non-
commercial application here, of course).  That does appear to be how
almost all the really enduring software (emacs, perl, even Unix
itself) got its start - some hacker decided to do it not for fame,
glory or adulation so much as the simple fact that there was no tool
for doing what they wanted available and it _pissed them off_. :-)

I know of no better motivator, myself, and it's what led me to do the
ports collection, for example.  I was *tired* of having to remember
how to build all the various bits of software I needed to make a new
machine a comfortable work environment, so I decided to do something
about it.  It was never important to me, at least initially, that
anyone else use it. :-)

- Jordan