Date:      21 Jul 2003 22:30:39 -0500
From:      Shawn <drevil@warpcore.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Where / how to begin the FreeBSD development journey?

I've recently setup and started using Free-BSD 5.1 as my desktop at home
and was looking to find more information about getting started in
contributing to the Free-BSD project.

What piqued my interest is the well organised clean Free-BSD kernel, and
the vast wealth of documentation on using the system. Also, the general
attitude of the Free-BSD community seems to be far more mature than that
of many other operating systems projects that seem to be appearing all
over lately. While I am no master of the trade so to speak, I have seen
lots of code over the last 10 years or so, and reading the Free-BSD
kernel code is quite pleasant and enjoyable in comparison.

The responsiveness and stability of Free-BSD 5.1 on my system have
convinced me enough that I've switched my personal development desktop
and email to Free-BSD 5.1, it really is that wonderful.

Now before anyone floats away from all the hot air I've blown, I was
wondering if there were any other recommended pieces of reading material
that might be helpful in better understanding Free-BSD's architecture
and design. I am aware of Tannenbaum's books, and I also own a few Linux
Kernel books as well.

As well, I have read through most of the documentation already
(certainly all that was available in the installer), and did not find
any specific mentions of how one should begin to familiarise themselves
with FreeBSD's internals and so forth. I did however find some
recommendations to read 'The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD
Operating System', which I recently obtained and have begun.

I did peruse the bugs list at the FreeBSD web site curious as to what
the current outstanding issue list was, and felt compelled to see if
there was anything left open that I might put my hand to and felt a bit
overwhelmed. I noticed that there are over 2,000 some entries with some
dating as far back as 1996. So, I wasn't exactly sure where one would
begin there either.

An acquaintance of mine had suggested that I should involve myself with
the newly founded DragonFly BSD project. But, I felt that I would rather
start here first.

So where or how does one begin the journey?

--
Shawn <drevil@warpcore.org>
http://drevil.warpcore.org/