Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:12:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xscreensaver seems to have killed me?

Hello,

For the first time in my bsd (3.2) box's long lifetime it locked hard with a
reboot the sole cure. It locked while displaying an xscreensaver image.
Which one escapes me for finding a displaying image remotely (telnet) is
next to impossible unless you are sitting right on top of "monitor top"
watching like a hawk. dmesg & /var/log/messages says xscreensaver
exited with a (signal 10). I've set up xscreensaver to display either a
blank screen or a couple of safe known images (lightning, forest and
bubbles). The xscreensaver version is 3.17. I built this program from it's
source and not the ports/build program. Could I have left out a known
build time variable which may be important. The only autoconf/configure
flags I've given it were "--without-pam & --with-xpm".

The graphics adapter I have is a Matrox Mystique (4meg) and I'm running
3.3.5 as an xfree86 server. I realize the information I've given is a bit
limited but at the moment I'm not on the machine in question.

What I'm really looking for is a way for the bsd operating system to
power down the monitor after x amount of idle time. Is that possible? If
not I could always enable such in the cmos/bios. How about a screensaver
or screen lock program substitute outside of xscreensaver, xlock(more) or
beforelight?

Sorry about the long winded blurb. Anything you could toss back at me
related at all whatsoever to the above would be great...

- William