Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 98 22:22:01 -0600
From:      "Jay Moseley" <jay_moseley@ibm.net>
To:        "freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bsd install (Lehey's book on BSD?)

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:48:54 -0800, Joey Garcia wrote:

>What's this book on BSD?  Lehey? is that the author? I've been looking
>around for BSD books, I'm currently running Linux and I'm deciding on
>making the switch to FreeBSD, but I wanted some actual printed
>documentation such as books or magazines.  Too bad there isn't a FreeBSD
>Journal (For those of you that don't know there is a monthly printed
>magazine called Linux Journal which is pretty good and pretty helpful for
>beginners and advanced users).

Joey,

     Lehey's book is great and worth the price of buying the CD/Book
package
IMO, but I would also recommend 'UNIX for the Impatient' (2nd
edition) by
Paul W. Abrahams and Bruce R. Larson, ISBN 0201823764. Yes, it was a
bit
pricey at approx $30, but is well worth the price. It is more of a
reference
book than a 'read start to finish' kind of book. But, it explains the
differences
in commands between the different versions of UNIX and when there is
a major
difference, it is going to be great to know just which options work
on BSD.

Regards,
Jay