Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:46:14 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "hasler" <Norman.Hasler@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Subject:   Re: running x-server with a diamond fire gl 1000

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:58:47 +0100, hasler wrote:

>i did not find a
>notice that i can run the x-server under my diamond fire gl 1000.
>is it possible or not.
>if it possible i will very pleased if you sent me a list of supported
>graphiccards which i can use under freebsd.

It's not FreeBSD that you need to worry about.  X windows is provided
by XFree86 for free (ships with FreeBSD) or you can buy a commercial X
server.

See http://XFree86.org/3.3.3/ for READMEs that describe what chips they
support.  I just ran /stand/sysinstall and found the card list. It
lists three Fire models:

Diamond Fire GL 1000
Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro
Diamond Fire GL 3000

It claims these are supported by it's 3DLabs server, apparently you can
use the standard XF86_SVGA driver which supports many chipsets, and has
deprecated many of the accelerated drivers.

Look at http://XFree86.org/3.3.3/3DLabs.html for specifics.

There are also companies producing commercial X servers (some cost
$100US, some a little higher)

Steve Friedrich
Viva la FreeBSD!!
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.