Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 12:36:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        phk@freefall.cdrom.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CTM problems

I've been trying to keep a CD-ROM source tree current but have had little
luck so far. I'm short on space, so my thought was to link in the CD-ROM
source tree (2.1.5) and then use sup or ctm to modify it and keep it
current. This isn't just to free up 'some space', but to actually give me
enough free HD room to do a make world.

I created a test tree in the /usr partition and used lndir to symbolically
link the whole CD-ROM source tree to the /usr/test.src directory. No
matter what switches I tried to use with sup, and despite what it seems to
say in man, sup always pulled in ALL files, regardless of whether they
were newer, apparently confused by the links. I then tried ctm.

I tried applying the 2 patch files (as root) included with the source tree
on CD-ROM. I have no idea whether this *should* have patched anything, but
I thought it might be useful to test. After warning me there was no
'.ctm_status' file, it chewed through the baseline and exited with a code
of 80. It did seem to modify some of files, because they were no longer
linked to the CD-ROM. I then tried to run the next patch. It again first
warned me there was no .ctm_status file, then started scanning, halting
with an error on the first file. In all, its output was:

	cd /usr/test.src
	ctm -v /cdrom/CTM/src-2.1.0147.gz
	Warning .ctm_status not found.
	Working on </cdrom/CTM/src-2.1.0147.gz>
	  FS: .ctm_status doesn't exist.
	  FN: release/sysinstall/cdrom.c md5 mismatch.
	  FN: release/sysinstall/cdrom.c edit fails.
	Exit(104)

I tried copying the base patches (src-2.1.0146A.gz) to the source tree
root and ran the first patch and got an exit(80) (and no .ctm_status file
was created). The errored file, cdrom.c, is r/w (664 root bin, though
everything was originally 644 root wheel) and not linked to the CD, as is
most of the release/sysinstall directory.  Why is a .ctm_status file never
created and why does the edit fail (related to not having a .ctm_status
file?).

Confused and Confused-er...

-Dave