Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:04:01 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>, Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: application developers [ was Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The  Evil!) ]

Initially, I had a hard time writing the bt848 driver because I didn't think
anyone would care;however, I did have a need for a cool video capture
device so I wrote it . Later on I was surprised by the interest that it
generated . The same thing happen with the original TV application
for FreeBSD which I did not  think much of it and almost not worth writing
and I was not alone in this thinking long time multimedia guru Jim Lowe
felt the same . Jordan contributed the jpeg compression to TV later on
Randall Hopper took on the task of writing a *real* TV application
because the sample FreeBSD TV app was not good enough for him 8)

Nevertheless, I do feel that the FreeBSD community should be friendlier
to app developers .

> I know of no better motivator, myself, and it's what led me to do the
> ports collection, for example.  I was *tired* of having to remember
> how to build all the various bits of software I needed to make a new
> machine a comfortable work environment, so I decided to do something
> about it.  It was never important to me, at least initially, that
> anyone else use it. :-)
>
> - Jordan

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@star-gate.com