Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 07:07:08 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject:   Re: "Windows 98"

Eivind Eklund:
 |>From http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,20006,00.html
 |
 |  Windows 98 is an upgrade of Windows 95 that is slated to
 |  include an integrated Web browser, a television tuner and
 |  program guide, faster application loading, and built-in support
 |  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 |  for multiple monitors, DVD, and universal serial bus
 |  connections. The browser will let users view local, network,
 |  and Internet data without switching applications.
 |
 |We should probably be doing something about getting fxtv to support this.  I
 |started, but I got blocked by not knowing Xaw at all :-(

I'm not sure I know what you mean.

The way it's worded, it's hard to tell what that is.  But given this is
Microsoft, I'm guessing this means they're subsuming yet more app-level
functionality into the base delivered operating (likely some DLL and a
little GUI interface ala mediaplayer) that provides a layer above drivers
for changing channels via tuner cards.  `ActiveTV' or some such.

If so, I don't think it does much for us.

Though it does relate to the idea of having a more standard OS API for
tuner apps (so new tuner card support can be added without app mods) which
Amancio mentioned again last week (I need to post the comments on I've been
jotting down on that thought later this evening...).

Randall