Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:31:40 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, jan@caustic.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem Sizes

f.johan.beisser <jan@caustic.org> types:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Graham Lillico wrote:
> i would suggest making a large /usr, and leaving /usr/ports and /usr/src
> inside of it. when you're building the world from /usr/src, it drops
> everything in to /usr/obj/.. which pretty much renders it useless to
> separate it all out on to a separate filesystem.
>
> what you could do, though, is set up a single partition to handle all the
> build and source code. this can (if set up on different disks) improve the
> amount of time it takes to do a make world.

You want /usr/src on one disk and /usr/obj on another for this.

> the next issue, is that /usr/ports stores all the port source code in
> /usr/ports/distfies. this alone can make /usr/ports bloat in some slightly
> unimaginable ways.

Worse yet, the default install unpacks and builds the ports in
/usr/ports.

> > Also how may filesystem are you limited to per disk?  And is vinum a good
> > option?
> to the best of my knowledge, there is no upper limit on partitions per
> disk.

BSD provides 8 partitions per device. That's enough for most
uses. However, you can DOS slices as well as disks as a device, which
means you get at least 32 if you only use primary slices. I believe
you can partition extension slices, but I'm not sure how many
extensions slices you can put in a primary slice, nor how many of the
4 primary slices can be used for extension slices, so I have no idea
what that makes the maximum

> i don't care for vinum myself. software RAID isn't going to be as reliable
> as hardware. vinum just happens to be better than most versions of
> software RAID.

Why should software loaded onto a ROM - which is what hardware RAID
uses - be more reliable than software not loaded onto a ROM?

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.