Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:03:26 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marc Tardif <admin@wtbwts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware vs software stripping

On Sunday, 30 January 2000 at 20:04:18 +0000, Marc Tardif wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, 30 January 2000 at 14:24:54 +0000, Marc Tardif wrote:
>>> using postgresql. The alternatives are either raid-1 which seems too
>>> wasteful on disks or raid-5 which provides fault tolerance. This last
>>> option could substituted for a tape backup and the possibility of a few
>>> minutes down time in case of disk failure.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand this sentence.  Are you planning to forget
>> RAID-5 after all and use a tape backup?  For reasonably large disks,
>> your downtime will be measured in hours, not minutes.  For a RAID-5
>> array, you shouldn't get any down time.
>
> You understood correctly, but I guess you're right. From reading the
> dpt.com website, hardware failures are caused by hard-drives 50% of the
> time. Also, from one of Simon Shapiro's posting to this mailing list, I
> could build a raid 0+5 array which would seem to be an optimal solution
> for a database performing random reads and writes. Therefore, I should
> probably forget simply using ccd or vinum for a production system.

I don't know how you conclude that.  First, the DPT probably won't buy
you anything in terms of performance, and secondly it's out of
production.

> There is another problem though, which is that I can't really have a
> general idea of the amount of space I'll require. Therefore, from my
> understanding, if I need to expand an array containing an sql db, I'll
> need to rebuild the whole thing after recreating a new filesystem on the
> new array. I'd be very relieved if there was an easier way...

I can't make qualified statements about SQL.

>>> For software, I think freebsd's ccd could provide all the services
>>> required for very fast i/o on a straight array of disks and at a
>>> fraction of the cost of the raid alternative. Unfortunately, I have
>>> never witnessed the virtues of raid myself and I am not in a
>>> position to make an educated decision. I would therefore appreciate
>>> if someone from this mailing list could share their experience to
>>> help with my dilemna.
>>
>> Why do you want to use ccd and not vinum?  In any case, you may find
>> that either are faster than the DPT controller (if you can find one;
>> they're no longer making them).
>
> The more I read about raid, the more I think it could be worthwhile.
> Although it can be expensive, I want to make sure I get what the server
> needs. As for getting a DPT controller, what's this about "the DPT
> controller" not being made anymore?

That's my understanding.  Even if you can get one, the performance is
disappointing.  In addition, I don't think you can't access the
on-board management software from FreeBSD.

Greg