Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 02:28:22 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Lev Walkin <vlm@netli.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Some specific questions about 5.x

Lev Walkin wrote:
> What about Solaris' migration towards 1:1 model from the N:M one they
> had supported for years already? Who are insane, Solaris folks (moving
> towards Linux) or Free/NetBSD ones (migrating to the old Solaris'
> behavior)?

It's not the same N:M model as Solaris.

The Solaris model derives from work done in 1993/1994, jointly,
by USL and Sun Micrososystems, on the SVR4.2 release code.  That's
why the UnixWare and Solaris models are so similar, up until the
last few years, when the Solaris model changed.

FWIW, I think the Solaris model changed in order to better support
NUMA, without needing extensive scheduler changes, not because it
really has no bugs now.  8-).

-- Terry