Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:00:26 +0200
From:      "Aistis Zenkevicius" <noc@unix.lt>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum and/or fsck problems after crash

hi,

> Please don't wrap log file entries.
sorry, as you know - i use OE :-E

> You shouldn't put two Vinum drives on the same IDE controller.  It
> will (should) work, but performance will suffer.
sure, and i we bought HighPoint HPT366 ATA66 controller, but then
there's big load
on 2 hdd's connected to it - system halts [that could be another thread
here].
[snip logs]
> These down messages come because the state is saved on the drives.
> The drive obviously crashed earlier One of the problems here is that
> we didn't see the original reason why mp3.p0.s1 went down.
so i can say - i imitated crash by pressing "reset" on box :) reason
why - my task
is to make "stable" box and if power fails [there was no such accident
in 3 years but to be sure]
that i could restore normally. I don't know much of theory, but i think
that then vinum plex org is concate
then it [vinum] first writes data to first disk and later to second, so
what i don't understand - how can mp3.p0.s1 be faulty..

[snip logs]

> No, I think you're right.  I'd suggest you fall back to PIO mode.
i'll try...
> What about the data?  Strictly speaking, it's corrupted, and so you
> should restore from your last backup.
Like i said - i can "mount -f" , but didn't checked how good the data is
inside,
and talking about backups - there's one server still running [which
should be changed to this new].
> Since it's presumably MP3 stuff, though, the damage done by a possible
corruption would not be
> very great.  At your own risk, you can use the vinum(8) command
Yes, it's mp3...but value of them is to big to my boss and all company
[company hobby]... :)
>   setstate up mp3.p0.s1
Isn't it the same like "start mp3.p0.s1"  which btw helps to make
subdisk "up"  ?
Anyway this case is mystic somehow - i'm spending so much time because i
see clear usage
of this tool in the future, but would like to check some cases so i'll
not need to crash my head into wall
next time ;)

cu,
Aistis