Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 1997 05:19:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        dg@root.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more than 32 disks?

> >   Oh yeah, I forgot to reply to your message to me about this. The answer for
> > wcarchive is that we only have 3 controllers - 0-2, so I haven't been faced
> > with an sd3<n> problem yet. :-) It looks like there are only 5 bits for the
> > unit number. This means that one will have to make driver changes to go
> > beyond 32 units. :-(
>
> Hmm.  The system boot appears to assign the sd32 device just peachy, just
> MAKEDEV dying.  I wonder what the adaptec driver is doing, guess its time to
> scrounge around in code.

The scsiconf code is incrementing the unit number without checking
if it exceeded the space allocated in the minor number.  I think
the driver would be functional if you could get into it.

The unit number is encoded using "dkunit" so the change has to be
made there.  See the alert about adding "dkmodunit".  May as well
fix DK_NDRIVE at the same time.

Look in sys/scsi/sd.c for the disk minor number setup.

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936