Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:54:19 -0800
From:      "Joshua Lokken" <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
To:        "Samuel Chow" <cyschow@shaw.ca>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Newbies@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: UNIX Mail help

Ok, here's one point that's got me hung up.  I receive my IP
dynamically (DHCP).
For web resolution I use ZoneEdit, since technically I am not
"allowed" to host
these services independently, so setting up proper MX records with
ZoneEdit is
essential, correct?  Also, is the ISP 'correct' in telling me that I
cannot manage
DNS for my own domain?  Can I 'override' that directive safely?

>     2) understand there are more than 1 way to store mail
>         on the server: mbox, Maildir are all mailbox formats,
>         and you get to choose exactly one.

While I've read there are advantages to the Maildir format, I'd like
to keep the
[default] format that my systems (all FreeBSD) come with out of the
box.  Is this
easier/more difficult, or [in]advisable?

>     3) understand how your ISP do mail, and decide how much
>         you want to leverage their infrastructure.

For my own sense of security/sanity, I'd like to try to keep this as
IDP-independent
as possible.  But, understanding my ISPs mail infrastructure can't be
bad, in any
case...

> ---
> Samuel Chow
> cyschow@shaw.ca
>
> This message is displayed using recycled electrons.
> Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Thanks for the reply,
--
Joshua