Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:48:31 -0000
From:      Paul Crossley <paul.crossley@uk.easynet.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PCCARD support - Ricoh RL5C478 - Sony Vaio F809

I have installed the 4.1 stable release on my Sony Vaio - no trouble with
the screen up to 1024x768 but that's not the issue.

I cannot get the PCCards to work.

(I've trawled the postings and discovered one other user claiming to have
the RICOH RL5c478 working but that was with a 3.5.1release  + PAO3-2000102
but  I believe that PAO has been rolled into 4.1.)

I've tried booting from a 3.5.1 pccard installation floppy but with no
success and
from a 4.2 installation floppy - neither pick up my Xircom Realport 10/100
card (16 bit)
although the source code for the XE driver indicates that this should be
fine.

So what are the symptoms ?

The pccardd detects cards being inserted and removed but comes up with 'no
card in database for "(null)"("(null)") '.

Thinking that this just needed tweaking the card recognition program I
started looking at the "readcis.c" file to see if I could implement a
kludge.

However,  not wanting to go to the effort if my diagnosis was wrong I
decided to try a different card first.

I therefore tried an ancient Adaptec Slimscsi (1460a) card that is listed in
the  /etc/defaults/pccard.conf file
but got the same 'no card in database ...' response.

So as a test I tried this

insert Xircom RE100 card

pccardc dumpcis >xxx

swap Xircom card for  Adaptec slimscsi 1460a

pccardc dumpcis >yyy

cmp xxx yyy

the result - the cis dumps are the same despite the different cards.

I even tried the same thing with a reboot in-between but got the same
result.

I guess this means that communication with the cards is broken as the CIS is
not
being read properly  which is a shame given that mandrake Linux on the same
machine is fine.

dmesg shows :

pcic-pci0: <Ricoh RL5478 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 12.0 on pci0
pcic-pci1: <Ricoh RL5478 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 12.1 on pci0
pcic0 : <Intl i82365> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd000 irq 10 on isa0
pcic0 : management irq 10
pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version > on pcic0
pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version > on pcic0

has anyone any suggestion as to what I can do (apart from give up :-)    ).