Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 20:14:21 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        AVW Productions <AVWallpapers@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frame Buffer Device under FreeBSD ???

	Once the desktop comes up, can you get a terminal window and bring up
xvidtune?  If you can, use this program to move the desktop to the middle.

Ian

As it was put forth by AVW Productions on Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 02:18:07PM=
 +0200...
> Hi,
>=20
>=20
> I'm using your FreeBSD4.3 for some time now and i love it.
>=20
> I also wanted to run XFree86 now...Unfortunately i have problems with m=
y graphic card SiS630.
> I can run KDE but the desktop is not in the middle of the screen but ha=
lf cut away : (
>=20
> I already tried hundreds of XF86Configs and installed the newest driver=
s for my card but it didnt help.
>=20
> I read some articles about my graphic card and XFree86 and found out th=
at the only way to run=20
> XF86 decent is to use a frame buffer device like VESA.
>=20
> Does freebsd 4.3 support this frame buffer device ?
>=20
> If yes how can i install it ?
>=20
> In order to configure this frame buffer device i also read that the fol=
lowing chnages must be made to lilo.config.
> i read this on a linux help page:
> ------------------
> The display is driven by a SiS630 graphics controller.=20
>=20
> There is an X-server which should work with that chip (XF86_SVGA). Howe=
ver, all trials with different modelines weren=B4t successful. So I fear =
that an accelerated driver is not applicable and one must use the framebu=
ffer device.
>=20
> There is a kernel framebuffer module (sisfb) which should drive the SiS=
630 but is an experimental state. On my machine, it definetely does not w=
ork. The computer hangs in any way I tried this driver. Instead, I use th=
e VESA framebuffer, vesafb. This driver must be compiled into the kernel =
(which is true for the SuSE standard kernels). When compiling the kernel =
by yourself, you must enable "prompt for development and/or incomplete co=
de/drivers" under "code maturity level options". The framebuffer devices =
can then be found under "console drivers".
>=20
> In /etc/lilo.conf you must enable an appropriate VGA mode. In this case=
 it is 1024x768 with a color depth of 64k. So the correct line in lilo.co=
nf is
>=20
> vga=3D0x317
>=20
> Now, use sax with the framebuffer X-server:=20
>=20
> sax -s XF86_FBDev
>=20
> and set all parameters needed by X. Especially in the card-section you =
have to choose the framebuffer driver. The /etc/XF86Config on my site may=
 give you a hint how the result can look like. The version number of the =
installed X window system is XFree86 4.0.2