Date:      15 Dec 1999 22:32:35 +0100
From:      Bjorn Danielsson <carbon-unit-1@urquell.pilsnet.sunet.se>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI DMA lockups in 3.2 (3.3 maybe?)

I have had similar problems (with 3.3-RELEASE), and yesterday I tried
the ncr.c from 4.x but unfortunately it didn't help. My system crashed
after 26 hours, with instruction pointer == random page fault address.

The machine is a Compaq Proliant 1850R with 640M RAM and a "ThunderLAN"
(tl) network interface. It's a newsfeed machine running Diablo 1.25.

The load during the past 26 hours was about 12 Mbit/s in, 55 Mbit/s out
constantly (on the tl0 device), and about 150 tps on each of the two disks.

I have had great success running Diablo 1.14 on FreeBSD-2.2.5 on
older hardware. Success, like 434 days of uninterrupted service until
a power outage that occurred during a scheduled (!) test of the UPS
system this summer. (Diablo actually saved our asses here back in 1997,
since we had been relying on INN 1.5 until then...  my kudos to Matt!)

I'd very much like to repeat that success on the new machine, if possible.

--
Björn Danielsson  KTHNOC / Swedish University Network
   (mail me for my real e-mail address)