Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:39:42 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        djf2 <djf2@danu.ili.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Serial console issues

On 19 Jun 2002, at 8:50, djf2 boldly uttered:

> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
>

> > (aside: the Intel L440GX+ server board I'm testing this on has a
> > bunch of embedded serial management features, most of which work on
> > COM2.  Among other things, it has a "console redirection" feature
> > which does basically the same thing those $300 boards from
> > www.realweasel.com do - and which Rod Smith so helpfully mentioned in
> > the previous thread.  Too bad the Intel implementation is buggy.. :-)
> >

>      I'm actually going to be looking at using some of those intel serial
> management features on a few other machines that I have.  What type of
> problems have you run into with them?  Do they work at all?  I should've
> figured that it sounded too good to be true 0-(.

Well I noticed 2 issues: I tried 2 different terminal programs and
different types of "ANSI" emulation, and on both of them I was
getting scattered characters and screen corruption in the output.
It's possible there's a terminal program that does a better job of
interpreting what it's sending, but I haven't found it. (FWIW the
proggys I tried were both Windows apps: hyperterminal and NetTerm.
Historically NetTerm has had flawless terminal emulation.)

2nd issue is that it seems to have a nasty habit of occassionally
sending random characters to the console of its own volition.  Baaad
JuJu, I can just imagine the eventual consequences of that.. :-(

I tried different speeds, turning UART buffering on/off, etc., not
sure it helped the random character problem, it certainly didn't help
the screen display problems.

All of the above pertains to the "console redirection" facility -
there are also "EMP" and page-out thingies which I haven't played
with yet.

(BTW it didn't look like you cc'd your original msg to the list but I
decided to because I thought the info would be of general interest)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium