Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 13:55:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Michael Kenneth Henry <mhenry@black.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3c509 conflict with vga0

[I assume you are talking about a Plug and play version of the card]

Go to the 3com website and download the two floppies/sets of utilities
for the 3c509 that should be available there. Boot a MS-DOS floppy and
insert the disk. It should contain a utility that lets you configure the
PNP settings of the card, and change the irq it is set to to 5 or so.

Or on the other hand if the motherboard you have is PCI, try to find an
option in the BIOS to select irq 10 as being ISA/legacy. That should
avoid yoyr (PCI) vga card (or any other card for that matter) from being
asigned IRQ 10.

If you have trouble in creating the disks, let me know and I can prepare
them for you.

It might be an idea next time to post this to questions.

Ciao,

Nick

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Michael Kenneth Henry wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > 	I've installed a 3Com 3c509 (isa) in my computer, which uses irq 10,
 > the same irq as is used by the vga driver. Unfortunately, the card
 > does not have any jumpers or any other way to change the irq and base
 > address, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to make the vga
 > driver use a different irq.
 >
 > I've tried using the network card, but I got extremely slow (net) response
 > and the terminal froze. (I was unable to type at the prompt, although
 > I could use the Alt+F2 combination to get another prompt and kill the
 > first session).
 >
 > Is there a way I can get this to work?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > 	Michael
 >
 > Jul 25 18:32:53 playground /kernel: vga0: <S3 ViRGE DX/GX graphics accelerator> rev 0x01 int a irq 10 on pci0.12.0
 > Jul 25 18:32:54 playground /kernel: ep0 at 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa
 > Jul 25 18:32:54 playground /kernel: ep0: aui/utp[*UTP*] address 00:60:8c:ec:a6:bb

ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy