Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:07:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> > Eh, you think I'm making this stuff up?  You are being somewhat dense.
> > If God could be fully comprehended, he would not be God.  Why does the
> > creature think he can comprehend that which transcends him?
>
> The creature is not convinced that there is a need for a supernatural,
> incomprehensible, impossible to understand, reach, or in any way
> grasp being in order to behave rationally.  You can repeat a thousand
> times "you need my god", but the basic question which is "why would
> i need such a thing?" remains unanswered so far.

You haven't been paying attention.  You could not even string 10 words
together into a sentence or even speak without assuming the uniformity
of nature which is only possible on a theistic worldview.  By the way,
who ever said God was "impossible to understand"?  It is impossible
for finite creatures to fully comprehend Him, but that doesn't mean
that what He *has* revealed about Himself is not understandable.

More to the point, to answer your question, yet again, why such a God
is necessary, is that science, language, reason, universal standards,
logic, human freedom, human dignity, love, hate, good, bad, indifference,
honesty, integrity, all of these are completely unintelligible without
a reference point that is fixed by which all of these things could have
any meaning whatsoever.  When you build your house on sand, don't be
surprised when it crashes to the ground when the rains come.

Neal